Thursday, September 25, 2008

The sponsored family visa is designed to allow people overseas to visit their family living in Australia. The applicant for this visa must be relative of an Australian permanent resident or citizen willing to sponsor them. The sponsor must ensure the Australian government that their guest will leave the country before the visa expires. Support is provided to the sponsor by the visa decision-maker. This visa costs US$100 and has to be lodge by the sponsor.

The requisites for this permit are:
  • Be outside of Australia.
  • An adult (over 18 years old) permanent resident or citizen has to be the sponsor settled in Australia, with no unsuccessful attempts records in the last 5 years.
  • Applicant must be healthy. So medical examination is required. Health insurance will be requested but isn’t mandatory.
  • Applicant financial status proves.
  • If the applicant is underage, must present a parental permit.
  • Fill and send the required forms. [More info]
Does this visa have any other benefit?

The granted visa could provide a stay up to 12 months (several circumstances may apply), and it is highly possible to be granted because your sponsor acts like a backup in some cases (and has the obligation to make you leave the country). The visa should be granted faster than the tourist visa.

  • The visa can’t be extended, so you will be requested to leave the country at the end of the maximum allowed term.
  • Is valid for one entry only.
  • If you want to apply for the visa again, you must be overseas.
  • Can’t work. Can’t study. Only visiting.
  • Medical insurance. If you are at a risky age, make sure you buy a health insurance before travelling Australia. Otherwise you might pay the full price of a good health system.
  • A security bond may be requested if there is a possibility that the applicant do not leave Australia when the term is done. The bond will be refunded once the visitor leaves the country and it variates from US$ 5,000 to US$ 15,000 or (depending on the case) any other amount.
For further information read this: Immi web site.

Links to the other posts
Main post “How to: visit Australia.”
How to: visit Australia (tourist visa).
How to: visit Australia (ETA permit).


Anonymous said...

My cousin recommended this blog and she was totally right keep up the fantastic work!
Australia Visa