Tuesday, October 28, 2008

A couple of days ago (to be more precise, it was eight days ago) I was backing up our data stored in the desktop computer (more than 6 hours backing up and classifying data, files, songs and stuffs) and my wife told me if we needed to buy another AC adapter for her notebook once in Australia. I didn’t took it too much seriously and told her “yes, I guess so... Why?”
She just said it thoughtfully: “Well, if we need another adapter for my notebook... aren’t you going to need another for that external drive you bought at Amazon?”

All of the sudden my world got solid frozen... Why didn’t I think of it before getting it? There is some chance of incompatibility with the Australian electrical system!

Thankfully there is this website were explains very well all the electrical problems our electronic devices may or may not suffer once in Australia.

Here is the answer:

Basic information of Australian electric system
Voltage: 220V – 240V (US and Canada 110V – 120V)
Frequency: 50Hz (US and Canada is 60Hz)
Plug type: I or V (http://www.kropla.com/!i.htm) (US or Ca uses the A&B http://www.kropla.com/!ab.htm)

Sum up.

  • If your electrical devices have AC/DC adapters check the specs for the multi-voltage label. This label says you will need just a plug adapter from A&B (or the one used on your country) to I or V plug type because your adapter already transform the electricity for your device.
  • If you have compatible electricity systems with different plug type, all you have to do is get one of those adapters.
  • If your device is 110V-120V or the frequency is different, you will have to buy an electricity converter (which isn’t recommended because consumes lots of electricity) plus in some cases, the proper plug type.
  • Most of the hair driers, iron and those stuffs with inner electric resistances used to generate heat is better to be sold and get a new one in Australia. Otherwise get the converter paying high price for your electricity consumption.
How do I know if my device is compatible with 220V-240V?
Check the label at the back of the AC Adapter or device; could be also be found in the user’s manual. The keyword is “INPUT” which contains information such as:
Input: ~100-240V 50/60Hz 65W: If you find this info. Your device is multi-voltage.
Input: 115/230V 50/60Hz 200W: your device is US compliant. These devices commonly has a switch at the back, all you need to do is switch it to the 230V side.
Input 120V 60Hz 2.8A: Means your device is US only compliant (just supports the 120V standard). You will need a converter in case you want to use it in Australia.

What type of plug adapters do I need?
The picture shows the Wa-16 travel plug adapter for Australia, Chine and Argentina compatible with the I Plug (the V plug doesn’t have the middle stick). But keep in mind you may be needing an converter in most of the cases.

More Information check out this website

Hope you find it useful.


Svetoslav said...

Great article! I always get confused on these. Some of the plugs look like things I have only seen on Star Trek ;). I had to go through 3 articles on Wikipedia just to get the information listed here.

Rod Landaeta said...

Thank you Svetoslav!

Just as you said, we had to take a quick course or electricity to understand some of the terms and the variations (haha, not really, but we had to read quite a big number of articles).

Thankfully you find it useful :P

Jalali said...

nice article
I never thought about it this close;)

My visa is granted so I have to pay attention to this type of problems more :D

Rod Landaeta said...

Hey Jalali, thanks for the comment, and congratulations for your visa :)

strom said...

It is very nice.It helps the Electricity users and providers about the Electricity.If you want to more information visit th strom.